The Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist Schools, Colleges, and Universities visited the Loma Linda University campus on May 10 – 12, 2022 in order to conduct its work of accreditation. AAA focuses its accreditation visits “on the way the college/university operation and life are in harmony with institutional and Seventh-day Adventist mission and denominational Working Policy” (AAA Accrediting Handbook: Part IV: Institution of Excellence and the Self-Study, 2019, pg., IV-3).
AAA received the Loma Linda University Self-Study, edited by Dr. Zack Plantak, Professor of Religion, in December 2021. Informed by this comprehensive Self-Study, the committee analyzed seven areas – 1: Mission and Identity; 2: Spiritual Development, Service, and Witness; 3: Governance, Organization, and Administration; 4: Programs of Study; 5: Faculty and Staff; 6: Educational Context; 7: Pastoral and Theological Education. In their initial response, the AAA Visiting team gave the School of Religion six commendations in five of the seven areas.
The School of Religion was commended for:
- Offering relevant and practical courses rooted in Adventist doctrines to diverse students from associate to doctoral degrees.
- Developing discipline-specific courses in all of their programs that has resulted in positive feedback from the students enrolled in those courses.
- Initiating important conversations with the other LLU schools regarding curriculum integration so that their teaching fulfills the needs of the schools.
- The commitment of the faculty to make available Adventist history material through the Adventist Digital Library.
- Their dedicated work to the integration of religious curriculum for the specific needs of each School.
- Its Centers for offering educational and policy resources to the Adventist church.
The School of Religion is honored to have received these commendations from the AAA Visiting Committee and is grateful for the support the school has received from the Offices of the President and Provost. We look forward to participating in LLU’s commitment to achieve its motto, mission, and vision in the years to come.